Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hundred - eleven year old Sea Lion

Today in the LA Times there was a picture of a 111 year old Sea Lion. I began to read the story about how the sea lion had been found off the coast of Hermosa Beach struggling against the rip tide.  He (Or she) they didn't say, was taken to a marine life shelter, nursed back to health and was being released back into the sea today.  
Old Sea Lion
Wondering why they just didn't keep the sea lion and let him live out the rest of his life at the marine shelter, I began anthropomorphizing the creature.  How long does a sea lion live anyway? Surely it would not be long term care for such and aged creature.  Shouldn't it be able to live the short balance left of its life in the comfort of a "old sea lion home"? Where is the Willard Scott of sea lions wishing him a happy Smuckers Birthday, and making a big deal out of the fact that he made the century mark plus eleven more years against all odds in the open sea? 
After a couple of cups of coffee I began to wax militant. Where was the SPCA?  Why had PETA not tried to stop this ancient creature from being thrown back to the sharks? What time was that "release" taking place? Was there time for me to get there and prevent this from happening?  My adrenaline was pumping and my righteous indignation was peaking. I decided the only thing I could really do for the animal was have another cup of coffee and stay mad.
Of course that is a hard thing to do for a person with AADS.  In just a few minutes my attention was captured by another headline in the Times and my blood began to cool off. I think that was the moment that I realized I had read the headline wrong.  The sea lion was not 111.  The foundling sea lion was ill.
In the infamous word of Gilda Radner's Emily LaTella  "Never Mind!"
As you were,
Jay 

1 comment:

Kenny Croes said...

Made me laugh.